The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.--Richard Bode



Friday, July 13, 2012

I am back in Juneau

I got back to Juneau on the ferry last night. I am camped at the Mendenhal Glacier, the town's main landmark. The campground is very pretty, and only $5.00 (which is right in my price range.)

It rained all night (again) and is very chilly and rainy this morning. I am in a McDonald's enjoying a big breakfast and using their free WiFi.

I catch the ferry to Prince Rupert later today. It is a long way to Prince Rupert (two nights on the ferry). Once there, I will be back in British Columbia and that will be the end of Alaska for me, at least for this trip.

I tried to get a stateroom on the ferry, but they are all booked up. I am told that many people put up their tents on the back deck of the boat and camp there, so I guess that is what I will do too. However, my tent is soaking wet, so I am going to go over to the grocery store across the road from this McDonald's and buy a couple of plastic sacks to put the tent in (It is fine for sleeping in, but I don't want it touching my sleeping bag or sleeping pad in my pack while on the ferry).

I guess I will also buy some food as well, but food on these ferries is quite cheap and very good (and nice and warm too).

I finished my description of Glacier Bay National Park. It is just below this posting.
My next post will probably be from Canada in three days.

Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment click on "comment as" and choose name/url. List your name (you can leave url blank). Make your comment and click on "publish". Please keep your comments clean and positive because my students and family also look at these pages. Ron